COS 114 (1st Semester) or COS124 (2nd Semester) (15 credits)
- Introduction to an operating system, e-mail and the Internet;
- Applications software including word processing and spreadsheets;
- Introduction to database management;
- Introduction to presentation graphics and;
- The integration of the above mentioned application programs.
- System programs;
- Data and data organization;
- Files and records, file management;
- Principles and usage of basic software;
- Systems programs;
- Data and data organisation;
- Computer architecture;
- The computer marketplace;
- Local area networks and e-mail;
- The Internet, data security and control.
At the successful completion of this course the student should have:
- The ability to use computers (including e-mail and Internet), software and multimedia to create and edit documents;
- The skilful use of worksheets and databases;
- Ability to integrate different application software packages;
- An understanding of programs, data, files and file organization on a computer system, computer architecture, the computer marketplace; local area networks and e-mail; the Internet, data security and control.