Welcome to UWC Computer Science
You have reached the Computer Science department of the University of the Western Cape, situated in the beautiful city of Cape Town, Republic of South Africa. Surrounded by oceans, mountains and winelands, UWC Computer Science offers students the opportunity to further their education in one of the most beautiful settings on earth. We strive to produce top quality well rounded Computer Scientists.
Mission And Vision
Our vision is to provide innovative programmes in Computer Science, thus empowering our graduates to advance the Quality of Life in Africa. Hence our mission is:
- To produce leading and visionary computer professionals at the cutting edge of Information and Communications Technologies (ICT’s);
- To provide world-class quality and relevant research programmes in ICT’s;
- To provide academic support for students from under-represented groups and opportunities for Life Long Learning (LLL);
- To foster co-operative relationships with industry and educational institutions;
- To empower disadvantaged communities through the transfer of ICT skills;
- To utilize democratic, transparent and accountable management practices.
- Our goals are to produce graduates that will bring vibrant research ideas, products, and skills into the marketplace with them. Our Graduate Programme has been progressively revised away from superficial subject treatment to more in-depth training.
- By establishing prior requisites between modules, we identified a core set of subjects that are taught and emphasized in the undergraduate program.
- We continue to pursue exceptional standards of innovation and excellence. Thus we are to produce graduates that can develop and advance the computing industry and computing technologies in Africa; to increase the graduate student component of the department, and to continue to enhance the teaching and research capacity of staff.
Women in Computer Science is a student movement aimed at being a catalyst for the growth of women in the Computer Science industry as well as bring opportunities to women in Computer Science. Women in Computer Science was started as an initiative to get women into computer science as well as generate opportunities for the […]
It is the Start of the shortest and most critical semester of the year …but that does not stop us from receiving visitors… IBM visits UWC to engage students on the platform developed by IBM(International Business Machines Corporation)known as docker as well as engage students on the free short courses offered by IBM under their […]
“Understanding and improving the student experience is of critical importance if South African higher education is going to produce the number and quality of graduates and citizens needed in the 21stcentury.” Computer science? Has it been engaging ? How can we engage the subject matter let alone implement it? CSKULTURE may very well be the […]
UWC hosts open days aimed at high school students in Grades 10, 11 and 12, their families, teachers and guidance councellors. This event presents an ideal opportunity to explore the vast range of study options UWC has to offer. Open days gives the targeted audience a chance to find out exactly what certain fields of […]